Friday, February 11, 2011

Marathon Running & Reporting

February 9th of 2011, a Wednesday I'll never forget. 

The alarm clock on my one month old Verizon cell phone rang. It was 5am. The reason I woke up that early was simple, I had a mission. That mission was handed to me by my "commander in chief" Katerina Spasovska for my News Reporting II class, which I gladly accepted.

Reporting about the Valley of Lilies 2011 Half Marathon proved to be more exiting than what I thought it would be. After checking practice time with the runners at their Facebook group page and arranging interviews with them, I set the equipment. Checked camera battery and "cleaned" the memory chip. It was on! 

Tracking suit on I set forward. As soon as I left Norton Residence Hall I felt the freezing 30 Fahrenheit ripping through my cloths and embracing my bones. 
It wasn't long before I started running with them across the campus. During the course I tried to find the best places to shoot but I was conditioned with a pitch black luminosity. It would take a while for the sun to turn up. 
Well, long story short, I felt in first hand the constraints a reporter might feel while working on the field. And this time was the cold weather, the hopeful waiting for the sun to rise in time for some "killer" shots and to be prepared to run a training marathon with a camera on my back. In the end I think I really had a glimpse of what it feels like to be a field reporter.

No comments:

Post a Comment